Wikimedia Commons, author: Kalambaki2
MANI extra virgin olive oil
MANI olive oil with orange
MANI olive oil with lemon
Traditional Greek Christmas Biscuits
- INGREDIENTS for the dough:
- 1 glass of MANI extra virgin olive oil or MANI extra virgin olive oil with orange or lemon
- ½ glass of freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ glass of cognac
- 1 tsp. of orange zest
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 kg flour
- finely chopped walnuts and some cinnamon for garnishing
- INGREDIENTS for the syrup:
- 1 glass of honey
- 2 glasses of sugar
- 2 glasses of water
- 1 tsp. of lemon zest
PREPARATION of the dough:
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
Mix all the ingredients (except the flour) together with an electric or wire whisk for about 5 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add some flour, just enough to make a soft pliable dough. Cover and leave to rest for about 45 minutes.
Mould the dough into small flattish sausage shapes and bake in the pre-heated oven at 170 degrees for about 15 - 20 minutes until the colour of the Melomakarona gets light brown.
PREPARATION of the syrup:
Heat the syrup ingredients in a saucepan until dissolved, stirring occasionally.
Dunk the Melomakarona in the syrup, place on a plate and sprinkle with a mixture of
chopped walnuts and cinnamon.
Melomakarona are very popular pastry in Greece especially at Christmas time. The use of extra virgin olive oil gives these biscuits a very peculiar, distinctive touch.
These are the Mani Bläuel products you need for the recipe:
Download recipe (PDF)
- MANI extra virgin olive oil
- MANI olive oil with orange
- MANI olive oil with lemon